Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Heart-Shaped Plectrum



(Click the CC button for Closed Captions).

I wanted to write a blog post about ukuleles, so Stephen and I spoke about what photographs we could take to accompany the post - ukuleles being very beautiful instruments.  This conversation evolved into a great deal of messing about and all of a sudden (many weeks later) we had produced a music video. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I'm still going to publish the ukulele post, but for your information, the first ukulele is a concert uke, the second is a soprano we made ourselves in the summer of 2010 from a kit like this and the third is a tenor.

The great picture of the rock-hopper penguins is by Liam Quinn.

Heart-Shaped Ukuelele Plectrums can be bought from this eBay shop.


Stephen says: Love's a funny thing. It can drive you to do all manner of strange things.

 I think the thing about true love, though, is that once you've done that thing (even if it's taken weeks) and you've had time to look back at it and understand the mind-boggling oddness of it all, you still feel proud. It still warms your heart and gives you a sense of completeness.

That said, if you haven't yet made your peace with the infinite, then I suggest you think twice before pressing play.

So, I hope that whoever you are, and whatever it is that you love (a special person, pet, food-stuff, view, group of people, artwork etc), that you spend the day cuddled up with a comfortable... comforting... sense of the oddness of all things and the truly humanising effect of affection.

3 comments:

Liam Quinn said...

I quite enjoyed the video! Thanks for pointing me to it. I'm glad you found such a good use for my penguin photo :)

The Goldfish said...

Thanks Liam. It is a great picture. :-)

We've had a lot of positive feedback given privately, but for some reason, people seem nervous about publicly endorsing this kind of behaviour...

Vic said...

In that case, I whole heartedly (oh dear) endorse the wonderful sweet silly video - full of heart (I'll get me coat)